Embracer studio
  • Co-founder and former executive at Embracer, Matthew Karch, who now serves as the head of Saber Interactive, shared his views in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, suggesting that the holding receives excessive criticism.
  • Karch mentioned that the number of layoffs at Embracer isn't disproportionate compared to other major companies. He also highlighted Embracer's CEO, Lars Wingefors, as someone who prioritizes retaining jobs whenever possible, and emphasized his genuine concern for the gaming industry.
The process that we've had to go through to terminate studios has absolutely been... it's killed us. I say 'us' even though I'm no longer part of the company because I feel like… I mean, I still have shares, I still have close relationships and good friends, and obviously the best wishes that they succeed over there. But I would say Embracer tried harder than anybody to save as many jobs as it could.
  • Karch also confirmed that Embracer's two billion dollar deal with Savvy Games Group, a Saudi Arabian investment firm, fell through in May 2023. This had not previously been officially disclosed.
  • Karch notes that Embracer didn't really need the deal, but he says the market at the time required rapid and significant expansion. So the holding company decided to try the agreement, hoping it would bring more financial stability to the company.
  • Karch agrees that Embracer had too high hopes for the Savvy Games Group deal, and during the lead-up to it, some of the holding company's divisions put their operations on hold instead of looking for partners on their own.
  • However, now, according to Karch, Embracer's management has managed to rectify the situation.
I wouldn't bet against Lars right now. He's really on top of it. I haven't heard him this confident in a long time
  • Embracer completed the restructuring process in March: as part of it, the holding company closed three internal studios and laid off more than a thousand employees.

What are you waiting for?
Join and become a community leader!
I'm in!