James29

Gamer ➀
Games from the 5th generation of consoles (Sega Saturn, Sony PlayStation, and the Nintendo 64) often receive criticism for their graphics(looking like total crap), but I'm interested in hearing about the titles that impressed you during that time. Specifically, I'd like to know if you still think they look good today. For me, Crash and Metal Gear Solid stand out as timeless highlights

Attachments

• mgs.jpg
    mgs.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • crashbandicot.jpg
    crashbandicot.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Logan
It's hard to find unenhanced original screenshots or vids of games from that era. Focusing on 3D games without pre-rendered backgrounds or 2D elements does narrow down the choices. One standout for me is Ridge Racer Type 4 on the PS1. It's visually stunning with detailed tracks, impressive car models, and noteworthy lighting effects in tunnels and day/night transitions—all achieved while maintaining a smooth 60 fps. The game truly pushed the limits of the PS1's capabilities and remains a visual marvel

Banjo-Tooie is another masterpiece in terms of visuals. While you may prefer the first part, the sequel is considered a step up in terms of graphics. The expansive areas in the game were particularly impressive for its time and it's noteworthy that this was achieved without relying on the RAM pack. The game's ability to deliver large, detailed environments without additional hardware enhancements was indeed a commendable feat.

What are you waiting for?
Join and become a community leader!
I'm in!